Friday, June 24, 2005

About to Blow - DaVinChe - November 2004

RWD AND RAYMOND WEIL BRING YOU THOSE ABOUT TO BUSS IT UP IN A FASHION...
It’s a fact that the UK’s urban music scene produces blistering talent that just cannot be ignored. It’s also a fact that high-quality talent will bubble to the surface. In that case DaVinChe is the Soda Stream (remember them?) of the scene, with bubbles rising to the surface exponentially…
His fuse of strings and raw, mind-boggling basslines have captured many a foot tap (hell who am I kidding, people are going mad up and down the land, over his beats). When someone is receiving such red-hot adulation, you know RWD has to track them down and extract information. We met DaVinChe at the Paperchase Recordings’ studio, the home of his creations. “I used to do vocals with my friends at school” he told us, “we didn’t have anyone to make our beats. So I just came across a program (He later revealed Logic as his weapon of choice) and started using it. Then I found out I was good, and I enjoyed it as well, I could sit down for hours.” With an underground hit like Leave Me Alone feat. Kano and Katie Pearl making waves, who can blame him for working long hours in the studio, “I just love making music, and I like to have control over what I’m making, I love sitting down and analysing music. Especially the music that we’re making, it’s so different and it’s so new, I feel I’ve got a lot of influence that I can bring to it.” With DaVinChe being behind the buttons of some big remixes (Shystie’s Make It Easy springs to mind), it was time to find out what secrets he had in his locker, “It’s all hard work, I really never left the studio for a year. It was time; I just sat down in the studio, working again and again. Then obviously you need a team behind you, people that are honest with you. People that tell you, ‘na sorry that one’s rubbish’ they have to say the truth, so you can go down the right route.” Unlike some poeple (not mentioning any names) DaVinChe has full respect for the grime scene, but also has love for garage greats such as Wookie. “I think it’s early, it’s new and quite powerful, the music expresses our young culture so well. It really does, it let’s us put ourselves across through music. But music that’s real to us, so we’re not speaking in anyone else’s language. We’re saying things that we experience and we believe in, it’s full of energy.” After being voted third best grime/sublow producer in the People’s Choice Awards, he smiled and stated, “I’m just grateful, that was very nice. It put a big grin on my face. I have to say, Wiley and Jon E Cash are big, both make big tunes. Got love for them definitely.” As he blows up, he’s still staying focused, “I’m gonna keep my music coming, keep it sounding as professional as I can”. The fact that his production is so tight, I had to get him to shed some light on his album, “I wanna work with loads of people, also people you haven’t heard of and bring them in. I’m working on big projects like Katie Pearl and Essentials’ albums.” It sounds like all of these will be (in the words of Timothy Westwood) ‘straight off the meat hook’ and it’s producers like DaVinChe who are positively pushing the UK underground forward. Big Respect.

0 comments: