Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Chipmunk Talks Haters, That Debut Album and Signing To A Major…

Chipmunk Alwayz Recording

Sat in the corner of the Always Recordings studio in Turnpike Lane – eating a chicken burger, chips and a few wings (from Favourite Chicken). All washed down with a half a tub of Heinz Tomato Ketchup and a can of Pepsi – Dannywalker1.blogspot.com finds the talented youngster in a good mood…

How is it going?

Everything is going good. Last time we spoke a lot of things have happened.
You’ve moved a long way in a short space of time…
I think my hard work is finally paying off. I’ve been putting in the work, the free mixtapes have been doing a lot, League of my Own selling rapidly. Even better than I expected. Hold tight Logan Sama. Yeah man, it’s just the album now I’m working on.
Firstly everyone wants to know? Are you signed to Universal? Let’s get straight to it.
Na, I’m not signed to Universal, I’m still with Alwayz Recordings; we’re just working on my album getting the production going. We’ve had a lot of interest from a lot of labels… we’re just trying to take it… I know what I’m worth. We’re trying to get that best deal that is going to benefit me as well as the company and just show that from an independent – based in north London – with an ambition just to keep kids out of trouble.
So there is a hunt to get you signed up?
Yeah, there is but we keep it minimal. We’re not letting off too much. We’re sitting on the album. As you can see I’m in the studio now, you’ve heard like a little sneak preview. The level of music is on that level that the UK needs and it’s all about our music being respected. Not just in London or the UK.

[Chip, munches chicken]

What do you think of the likes of Wiley and Ironik getting picked up by Atlantic Records?
Shout out to Wiley cos obviously Wiley helped me along the stages, nuff respect, I ain’t got a bad thing to say about him. Will is doing his thing. He has opened his target audience even wider with Wearing My Rolex, well done. He saw the loot. He made loot off a banger. Shout out to Wiley man. You’re doing your thing. Obviously, he is still the grime representation that we need. Ironik, Ironik has been my boy from day. When I first started spitting I was like 13/ 14 and he was pioneering in the DJ market so he was helping me from then. I ain’t got a bad thing to say about him. A lot of people are hating on him but he has built his own fanbase. Ironik has a fan base no-one else can interfere with. For what he has done, the label have obviously noticed that he has got his own fanbase – he is already a mini-icon in his own market, shout out to Ironik man, me and him is still cool.


Chipmunk in the Studio

What did your parents think of the first RWD magazine feature?
Yeah, they liked it man. They liked it. They are supporting right now and they are seeing that things are starting to happen. They are pushing me in the right direction. And they’re trying to keep the balance with my studying.
Despite your progress you are still getting haters…
It’s always the same. We’re just proudly representing music. Haters, what can I say? I am semi-famous. I don’t appreciate it man. I have to change my numbers quite a lot. Private callers and that. I can’t really be asked. I don’t fear nothing, don’t they have anything better to do? Leave me be. I don’t trouble no-one, I cause no harm. I keep myself to myself. Make my hits, attend my six form, get my grades. Why do you want to interfere with my life? It got worst since Five Day Pass came around cos everyone has got credit now, innit. ‘Give him a call. Wind him up.’
Tell us about Mohammed Ali… It’s quite deep. How would you describe it…?
The quote, ‘I’m Mohammed Ali the MC’, I tried to relate myself to people who have been the best at what they’re doing. Right now, with the level that I’m at. At this age, I just threw quotes in there. Like they said I wouldn’t move up. All of a sudden, I’m in how many issues? The elevation has been amazing. I slide a few other things in like music, money, girls. I listen to a lot of American artist’s interviews – as well as UK artists – and people relate to everyday situations music, money you know what I am saying. We’re just trying to make music for the people to relate to. To bounce along to. Shout out to Manic for the production of that one. It’s massive man and the video is coming soon.
Any ideas?
[Smiles] Well the tune is called Mohammed Ali so…
Some boxing ring business?
You’re gonna have to see. You’ve seen what the Who Are You? video was like so expect the same.
Have you got a skank ready for that one?
Oooooo, I’ve got a few.

[Chip, munches chicken again]

Chipmunk Up Close

What is next?
The album!!! The name is still undecided. I have a few names in mind. I’m just trying to go for the best one. It should be coming late summer. It’s going to be a awful lot.
What were we just listening to? It sounds like some Miami throwback remix/ refix…
Obviously you have to keep the grime fans happy but we’re also trying to make that playlist music. It’s the same music that everyone can appreciate. Not just grime fans. But the grime fan’s parents and nans. That tune is a banger, I can’t go into it too much. It’s called Put The Game On. Does it feature anyone?
Oooo, I can’t say.
Who has produced it?
My mate called Peter. Very hard, that’s what we do. We get the in-house people. Peter has been supporting me since I was 13.
Yeah, that beat sounds good man. So it’s not just grime?
You know what I say it’s music. It’s music.

Big. I leave Chipmunk to devour his chicken…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chipmunks talks sense man i rate him man i want him to blow

Anonymous said...

Chipmunk man i give you your props i think i'm a spitter in the making..but i need something to help me spread my wings ....what should i do