Thursday, March 16, 2006

MC Narstie's Better Than U!!!

Taken from RWD Magazine

The self-proclaimed Mr Kipling of the UK underground - cos he’s ‘exceedingly good’ - N Double A’s MC Narstie tells RWD about his hot filling...
Words by Danny Walker


Not afraid to tell the world all about himself, new Dice Records’ signing and Brixton native Narstie rhymes about friends lost, women gained, jokes had and food eaten. He tells us how he got his name onto flyers and his lyrics into people memories. “I started off as a crew slag, goin’ from crew to crew spitting bars,” he jokes. “Then two years ago things started picking up for me. I was on people’s phone lines like their baby mothers!” On a mission to outshine everyone, Narstie helped South London’s N Double A gleam from within the council estates, rundown flats and general street-living. “There are 11 of us coming through, each with their own unique style; DJ Frampster, DJ Suicide, Ceo, Oozie, L. Man, Dreama, Young One, Infamous, Flamer, Solo and myself. I’m not saying we’re all livin’ grimy but when we come together we’re like Real Madrid, Galactico - pure stars. And Dice Recordings have got our back.” N Doubs’ Infamous and Solo confirm the love inside the camp, and explain, “We’re all close outside music; Narstie is the big brother and we got love for him; Oozie is murkin’, L Man is the Justin Timberlake and everyone’s doin’ their thing.”
With tunes ranging from slow melodic wifey teasers to hypement of the highest order, Narstie informs he’s not just on a grime tip, “Me, I’m an artist, I’m off-key, I’m on everything from grime to that techno sh*t. I grew up in the system and have learned how to express myself; I spit from the heart and from my mind.” His forthcoming mixtape I’m Betta Than U (with title-track video and single on the way) exemplifies further why people need to listen closer. “I’m always spitting my issues; it’s not about talking about what some next man is doin,’” he expresses before summing up a few flows: “We’ve all lost our house keys, we’ve all over-run the bath, we’ve all burnt a pizza in the oven... You know I always talk about food innit – and people can relate to it.” The underground pleaser, Brush Man where Narstie and Solo cuss each other, has gotten many wondering what exactly he’s gonna do next? “We’re just trying to bring back more comedy to the scene - hold tight Solo cos we argue everyday. I just heard it made best vocal of 2005. It came about when we were arguing in the studio and thought we might as well do it on a beat.”
The self-confessed sexiest fat kid in the world has loads of projects up his sleeve. “Look out for the single I’m Bak [yes, spelt B.A.K] and Hold It Down RMX feat. Shystie, J2K and Durrty Goodz. There’s more mixtapes coming - I’m planning eight this year; Fat & Proud; I’m Betta Than You And So Is My Crew.” As well as his album you can check Narstie on P Jam’s sicker than sick ‘Grindie’ remix of Coldplay’s Spun A Web.
With the video for the comical Brush Man around the corner, Narstie’s confident 2006 will be a big year. “Yeah, the video is coming soon, which will be jokes, I think we both got it on that tune. I’m the fat kid so I expect a few disses at me and also part two is coming soon. Don’t forget my role in the film London State of Mind (written and directed by the Dice team) - I cut through, doin’ my dodgy dealing. I’m Bak!!! The American’s need to be scared cos I’m doin’ this for the fat fans.”

DVD/ Mix CD I’m Betta Than U is OUT NOW on Dice Records

0 comments: