Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Brand to Watch For 2010: PXL Clothing

PXL Clothing
I caught up with the PXL Clothing’s head honcho, D, to talk about the first collection, where he gets his inspiration from and what will be happening with the brand in 2010…

Why do you draw your creative ideas from technology?
Because I use it everyday, everybody uses it without actually appreciating the design and effort and ingenuity that goes into creating tech....

Where did you come up with the name PXL Clothing?
As a commercial designer I've always been conscious of sourcing hi-res artwork for jobs, but then I saw that mags like... [READ MORE]...



...Super Super were going out of their way to print pics low res and I became obsessed by pixels... then the Kanye vid [Welcome to the Heartbreak] with all the digital corruption came out and it blew my brains out.


Who inspires you?
I have an endless list of creatives and business people that inspire me and that make me work harder... Kanye West, Johnny Cupcakes, Scott Langton's early Artful Dodger brand (pre Jay-Z), T. Harve Ecker, 123 Klan, Crooks & Castles, Ol & Tel from popupshowrrom.com, Complex mag, King Apparel, adidas, nike... I could go on all day.

Please don’t. How long did it take you to create your first ever collection and what was the initial response from your peers?
Six months of working out a concept and coming up with ideas, throwing tonnes of work away and starting over and over, the few people I showed it to where positive apart from the two that I knew I had to impress, so they made me work much harder than I planned to.

Pixel Clothing

What brand do you see PXL sitting alongside?
I'd love to be mentioned in the same sentence as Crooks, Artful Dodger, BBC, etc. but there's a long way to go before that would be a fair comparison.

I’ve seen a few celebs in PXL Clothing, who have you corrupted (get it, corrupt, pixel, data error, etc.)…
So far I’ve had good support from the likes of Semtex, Donaeo, Example, Bashy, Target, Ginger Kid, I'm hoping to get Jay-Z, Diz, Kanye, Pharrell, Justin Lee Collins, etc. etc.

What will you be doing in 2010 and where do you see the brand going?
GLOBAL!!! But there's so much to do, bigger distribution, make the blog a destination in itself, move into cut and sew, better designs, when I look at what needs to be done it hurts my head!!!

Click here for the newly launched PXL Clothing website. 




blog comments powered by Disqus